I think there should be FAA (Facebook Anonymous Addicts) for artists! There are just too many art groups online, and for an aspiring beginning artist who is trying to decide what medium is best for my personality, I am finding that I want to join all of the art groups. There are acrylic groups, painting groups, pastel groups, sketching groups, color pencil artist groups, beginning groups, marketing groups, tattoo groups, ink and pencil groups, gouache group, graphite groups, etc. There are so many Facebook groups with great examples of art that it is hard to specialize in one art medium when all the art mediums are appealing. Unfortunately, art supplies are expensive so I must make a concerted effort to decide what medium I should concentrate on.
Here is what I know about myself as an artist: 1) I am impatient; 2) I need quiet time to complete my projects; 3) I seek stress relief; 3) mess, clutter and stuff all over the place gives me anxiety 4) love spontaneity; 5) enjoy pieces with lots of color; 6) need to work in chunks of time; 6) want my art supplies to be simple; and 7) I like to change from realistic and loose/impressionist artwork. To date, I have tried acrylics, color pencil art, sketching with pencils and inks and watercolors. I’ve painted and drawn on canvas, rocks, hot and cold watercolor paper, drafting paper and sketchbooks. Here is are my conclusions on what art I like to do!
- Sketching and watercolor in sketchbooks and journals- feeds my spontaneity, it’s easy and portable—so I can get into Urban Sketching and 15 – 30 minute short thematic sketching
- Color Pencil Art – Allows me to work in chunks of time, supplies are simple, and it’s portable.
- Inks, markers and watercolors/watercolor pencils: combines spontaneity, lots of color and doesn’t make all the mess that acrylics, pastels and charcoal does.
- Acrylics – Although I don’t like the mess, I will use acrylics occasionally. I do like all the bright colors and the impressionistic or expressionism painting. Acrylic probably my least favorite to use, but I can play on huge canvasses.
- Watercolors – I’ve not used watercolors in it’s pure form other than in sketching, but have used watercolor pencils. I love the translucency of the art form…just need to do some practice pieces.
So where I am going with this? I thought I would share a few pieces (some you’ve seen, sorry) so you can suggest what I might be good at. Remember, I am still a beginner, but hopefully you might give me suggestions on where my focus should be…or is it okay to be a artist of all trades. Is that what creativity is all about?
Color Pencil and Watercolor Pencil
Sketching with Watercolors, Markers and Pen
#artoninstagram #facebookartist #sketchartist #artmedium #colorpencilart #picspaintsprose #acrylicartist #beginningartist #watercolorartist #drawing #urbansketching #sketch #sketching #allaroundartist #colorpencilartist #wildlifeart