I’ve made a concerted effort to start a daily habit of sketching or drawing. I have found a great amount of groups on Facebook and online to get sketching exercises. As you know, I am a Facebook addict and I’ve selected a few groups. My criteria for selection is activity and the number of members. Memberships that run in the tens of thousands are too big, and the administrators are usually too bogged down to be effective in the groups; however if the group is active and the group members provide assistance, I am all for it! Below are the groups I found are the most active in the group and the administrators do a great job in overseeing the activities.
- Sketching Everyday – I really like this group. Very active group that allows you to post “off prompt” sketches. The administrator is active and provides great daily themes. A small intimate group under 1000 but very supportive. Plus, periodically during the month there are artist studies selected as the daily prompt.
- Sketchbook Skool: A Drawing A Day – This group is part of the Sketchbook Skool Facebook group, as well as the Sketchbook Sketching Skool.
- Doodlewash – Has a community outside of Facebook where you can post your completed art as well as sign up for their forum. Doodlewash also has a Facebook page, World Watercolor Group with 72k membership. Daily sketch themes are found here.
- Daily Sketch Challenge – There is a nice monthly list provided; however I do not see many submission to the challenged
- Urban Sketchers – This is a huge group with subgroups all around the world. So if you live in a metropolitan area, you might find a urban group near your area. I found this an interesting group with lots of art submissions from around the world. I find it interesting to see sketches of locations around the world that I would love to visit!
- Virtual Sketchwalk – This group selects cities or locations around the world, provides a walking map and photos for members to draw. Interesting concept. Haven’t tried it yet, but will do a few of their challenges. Its an active group even though there are under 1000 members.
The Sketching Everyday group is doing an alphabet series for September. I decided to complete my month doing animal sketches. Doodlewash is doing a month theme of celebrations. If you’ve not incorporated a daily routine of sketching, I invite you to follow along with any of the sites listed above. The drawing of sketches can be simple 15 minute sketches in any medium, a quick doodle or a formal drawing/painting. My sketches below were ten minute to two hour drawings.
#artstudy #mixedmedia #sketchingoninstagram #sketching #dailysketch #facebookgroupsketch #sketchchalleng #drawingoninstagram #art #artblog