Pretty In Peach Historic Stucco House on Mormon Row – Aurelia Schanzenbacher Sisters Fine Arts – Canvas
Settlement home called the Peach House nestled within Aspen trees located at Mormon Row located in Jackson, WY near the Grand Teton National Park. Photograph transformed digitally.
John Moulton Homestead at Mormon Row. The story is… “While John’s wife, Bartha, was in the hospital, John wanted to do something special to commemorate her homecoming,” the Historical Society recounts on its website. “He knew that she had wanted to repaint the house, and due to a small mix-up, chose the salmon pink color. When Bartha came home, she despised the color but so loved the sentiment behind it, that it was never changed.”
Mormon Row was settled in the late 1890s by Mormons from the Salt Lake region. The town was formerly known as the town Grovont. and was established by 27 homesteaders. The Homestead Act of 1862, granted land ownership to any person willing to build a house and cultivate the area for five years. The community was able to establish a presence in the area east of Blacktail Butte, below the Grand Tetons. Settlers secured 27 homesteads they built close together to share labor and community.
Despite the harsh conditions of Jackson Hole, WY. These hardy settlers dug ditches by hand and with teams of horses, building an intricate network of levees and dikes to funnel water from central ditches to their fields between 1896 and 1937. Water still flows in some of these ditches. Settlers dug miles of ditches to bring water from the Gros Ventre River to their fields. In the winters, these ditches would freeze so families traveled to the river with buckets to gather water. It wasn’t until 1927 that the Kelly Warm Spring cooled and offered a dependable water source to the residents. Families grew hay and ninety-day-oats. These were one of the limited crops that were able to survive the short growing season and harsh conditions of the Jackson Hole area. Families sustained themselves by owning cows, whose milk and meat provided food, as well as horses to till the fields
The town of Grovont also contained several ranches, homes, a church, and a school. The church, built in 1916, played a critical role in the community serving as a social stage for all races and religions, regardless of faith. Although the building was moved to Wilson, it is marked at Mormon Row by fence posts, two cottonwoods, and a spruce tree.
In the mid-1900s, Mormon Row was acquired to expand Grand Teton National Park and in 1997 the district was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Below are descriptions of some of the barns that still stand today, offering the same feeling and setting of the district as it was 100 years